Bibliography

  1. Allen, J. Romilly, “Notes on some Undescribed Stones with Cup Markings in Scotland,” in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries Scotland, volume 16, 1882.
  2. Baird, William, Annals of Duddingston and Portobello, Andrew Elliot: Edinburgh 1898.
  3. Banks, M. MacLeod, British Calendar Customs: Scotland – 3 volumes, Folklore Society: London 1937-41.
  4. Bryce, W. Moir, “Saint Margaret of Scotland and Her Chapel in the Castle of Edinburgh,” in Book of the Old Edinburgh Club, volume 5, 1912.
  5. Coles, Fred, ‘Notice of…Cairns and Standing Stones in Midlothian and Fife,’ in PSAS 37, 1903.
  6. Coles, Fred R., “Notes on Some Hitherto Undescribed Cup-and-Ring Marked Stones,” in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries Scotland, volume 37, 1903.
  7. Colston, James, The Edinburgh and District Water Supply, Edinburgh 1890.
  8. Comrie, John Dixon, History of Scottish Medicine – 2 volumes, WHMM: London 1932.
  9. Frost, Thomas, “Saints and Holy Wells,” in Bygone Church Life in Scotland (W. Andrews: Hull 1899).
  10. Gauldie, Robin, Walking Edinburgh, New Holland: London 2000.
  11. Geddie, John, The Fringes of Edinburgh, W. & R. Chambers: Edinburgh 1926.
  12. Good, George, Liberton in Ancient and Modern Times, Andrew Elliot: Edinburgh 1893.
  13. Grant, James, Cassell’s Old and New Edinburgh – 3 volumes, Cassell, Petter Galpin: London 1882.
  14. Gray, John G. (ed.), The South Side Story, W.F. Knox: Glasgow 1962.
  15. Gray, W. Forbes, “The Penny Well,” in South Side Story, Glasgow 1962.
  16. Grose, Francis, The Antiquities of Scotland – volume 1, Hooper & Wigstead: London 1797.
  17. Harris, Stuart, The Place-Names of Edinburgh: Their Origins and History, Gordon Wright: Edinburgh 1996.
  18. Heron, Robert, Observations Made in a Journey through the Western Counties of Scotland – volume 1, R.M. Junior: Perth 1793.
  19. Hill, Cumberland, Historic Memorials and Reminiscences of Stockbridge, the Dean and Water of Leith, Robert Somerville: Edinburgh 1887.
  20. Hone, William, The Every-Day Book and Table-Book, Thomas Tegg: London 1839.
  21. Hope, Thomas C. & Telford, Thomas, Reports on the Means of Improving the Supply of Water for the City of Edinburgh, A. Constable: Edinburgh 1813.
  22. Mackaile, Matthew, The Oyly Well; or a Topographico-Spagyrical Description of the Oyly-Well, at St. Catharines Chappel in the Paroch of Libberton, Robert Brown: Edinburgh 1664.
  23. Mackay, John, History of the Burgh of Canongate, Oliphant Anderson: Edinburgh 1900.
  24. MacKinlay, James M., Folklore of Scottish Lochs and Springs, William Hodge: Glasgow 1893.
  25. McLean, Adam, The Standing Stones of the Lothians, Megalithic Research Publications: Edinburgh no date (c.1978).
  26. McNeill, F. Marian, The Silver Bough – volume 2, William McLellan: Glasgow 1959.
  27. Morison, Alexander, Historical Notes on the Ancient and Royal Burgh of Queensferry, West Lothian Courier: Bathgate 1927.
  28. Morris, Ruth & Frank, Scottish Healing Wells, Alethea: Sandy 1982.
  29. Morris, Ronald W.B., The Prehistoric Rock Art of Southern Scotland, BAR 86: Oxford 1981.
  30. Orrock, Thomas, Fortha’s Lyrics and other Poems, privately printed: Edinburgh 1880.
  31. Royal Commission on the Ancient & Historical Monuments of Scotland, Inventory of Monuments and Constructions in the Counties of Midlothian and West Lothian, HMSO: Edinburgh 1929.
  32. Royal Commission on the Ancient & Historical Monuments, Scotland, Inventory of the Ancient & Historical Monuments of the City of Edinburgh, HMSO: Edinburgh 1951.
  33. Shankie, David, The Parish of Colinton, John Wilson: Edinburgh 1902.
  34. Simpson, J.Y., “On Ancient Sculpturings of Cups and Concentric Rings,” in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries, Scotland, volume 6, 1864-66.
  35. Simpson, James, Archaic Sculpturings of Cups, Circles, etc., Upon Stones and Rocks in Scotland, England and other Countries, Edmonston & Douglas: Edinburgh 1867.
  36. Smith, John Alexander, “Notes of Rock Sculpturings of Cups and Concentric Rings, and ‘The Witch’s Stone’ on Tormain Hill; also of some Early Remains on the Kaimes Hill, near Ratho, Edinburghshire,” in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries Scotland, volume 10, 1874.
  37. Smith, J. Stewart, The Grange of St Giles, T. & A. Constable: Edinburgh 1898.
  38. Smith, John Turnbull, Sketch of St Bernard’s, Banks: Edinburgh 1907.
  39. Stevenson, Sylvia, Simpson, A.T. & Holmes, N., Historic Edinburgh, Canongate and Leith: The Archaeological Implications of Development, Scottish Burgh Survey: University of Glasgow 1981.
  40. Thomson, William A.R., Spas that Heal, Adam & Charles Black: London 1978.
  41. Walker, J. Russel, “Holy Wells’ in Scotland,” in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, vol.17 (New Series, volume 5), 1883.
  42. Watson, W.N.B., “The Balm-Well of St Catherine, Liberton,” in Book of the Old Edinburgh Club, volume 33, 1972.
  43. Whyte, Thomas, “An Account of the Parish of Liberton in Midlothian, or County of Edinburgh,” in Archaeologica Scotica, volume 1, 1792.
  44. Wilson, Andrew P., Milestones in the Royal Mile, John McQueen: Galashiels 1947.
  45. Wilson, Daniel, The Archaeology and Prehistoric Annals of Scotland, Sutherland & Knox: Edinburgh 1851.
  46. Wilson, Daniel, Memorials of Edinburgh in the Olden Times – 2 volumes, Edinburgh 1891.