Category Archives: Lothian, East

Cross Well, Musselburgh, East Lothian

Holy Well:  OS Grid Reference – NT 34629 72739 Archaeology & History Musselburgh has had an ancient fair—held upon St. James’ Day (July 25)—for many centuries.  It was held along the old High Street by a more ancient Market Cross … Continue reading

Rate this:

Posted in Holy Wells, Lothian, East, Scotland | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Vicar’s Well, Musselburgh, East Lothian

Holy Well (destroyed):  OS Grid-Reference – NT 3452 7264 Archaeology & History First mentioned in the Scottish Statistical Account of 1845, its name originates from being attached to the vicarage of nearby St. Michael’s church.  Highlighted on the 1853 township … Continue reading

Rate this:

Posted in Holy Wells, Lothian, East, Scotland | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Leaston House, Humbie, East Lothian

Cup-and-Ring Stone (lost):  OS Grid Reference – NT 483 634 Also Known as: Canmore ID 54771 Archaeology & History The concentric ring carving shown here was found on the north side of the large gardens at Leaston House early in … Continue reading

Rate this:

Posted in Cup-and-Ring Stones, Lothian, East, Scotland | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment