Standing Stone: OS Reference – NO 2432 5449
Also Known as:
Take the B954 north from Alyth, and turn left onto the unclassified road at Craigisla House, turning right at Dykehead, then take the right fork at Faulds. Park up by the school about ¼ mile further on, and the stone is in a wooded glade on the opposite side of the road along a track to the left of ‘Standing Stone’ cottage.
Archeology and History
Quoted in the Canmore database, A.J. Warden, writing in 1882, described the stone:
‘The standing stone on Broomhall estate is a large amorphous whinstone, standing in a small field near the confluence of the Kilry Burn and the River Isla. It is c.7′ high and c. 10′ in circumference at the base. Tradition states that it commemorates a battle fought between the laird of Kilry and the Durwards of Peel.’
On the OS map the stone is aligned with the Pitmudie Stones and the Knowehead of Auldallan Stones to the north east.
- Warden, A.J., Angus or Forfarshire: The Land and People, Descriptive and Historical – volume 3, Dundee 1880-5.
© Paul Hornby, The Northern Antiquarian