Standing Stone (destroyed): OS grid reference NR 642 480
Archaeology & History
The Scottish Royal Commission (1971) reported a very large “standing stone that stood 185m NNW of Achmore House (that) was removed at the beginning of the 19th century. It was reported that is measured 4.9m in height (16ft), 1.2m in breadth and 0.2m in thickness.” A prehistoric cairn seemed to have accompanied this monolith – as reported by Thomas Pennant in 1772 – but it too was destroyed around the same time.
Royal Commission for Ancient & Historical Monuments of Scotland, Argyll – volume 1: Kintyre, HMSO 1971.
© Paul Bennett, The Northern Antiquarian