Standing Stones: OS grid reference – NM 794 164
This old stone is another one tucked away, but not too far south of Oban. Take the Kilninver road and keep heading southwest, past Loch Seil. Instead of following the road right, to Clachan and then onto Seil Island, bear left and towards Armaddy Castle. Where the single-track road turns into the woodland towards the castle, the track keeps on into the rocky hills. Keep going for about another 500 yards. You’re nearly there!
By the coast just north of Loch Melfort, near the hamlet of Degnish, is the grand old Armaddy Castle. On the other side of the trees from here, to the east, Scottish writer and folklorist A.A. MacGregor tells there to be an old standing stone. In his Ghost Book of 1955, he tells the tale of a local man called Donald MacDougal who, returning home after his day’s work at the castle, crossed over the old burn of Eas nan Caerdach where the standing stone can be found, just past the bend in the track.
On reaching it, Donald became aware of a strange light a short distance in front of him. Thinking at first it was the lamp of his co-worker making for the Home Farm, he walked past the stone – but it wasn’t until he got home himself and found he was alone that he questioned what on earth he’d seen! Upon asking other people in the neighbourhood, it was found that other locals had seen the same light, traversing the land from the old standing stone along the footpath to the farm.
MacGregor, Alasdair Alpin, The Ghost Book, Robert Hale: London 1955.
© Paul Bennett, The Northern Antiquarian